• Read time: 3 mins


  • You or your spouse do not need to go to court to settle matters relating to your separation. Instead you can negotiate a separation agreement which is a legally binding contract.
  • Each party to a separation agreement should seek legal advice to ensure that the agreement is fair and equitable and that the custody and access arrangements are in the best interests of the children.
  • A separation agreement defines the rights of each party. It does not grant you a divorce if you are married. You must apply to the Court for a divorce.
  • A separation agreement should clearly outline how all matters pertaining to your separation will be resolved, such as:
  • Custody, access and child support
  • Spousal support
  • Division of debits
  • Division of property, including pensions and the possession of the matrimonial or common law home
  • Any other matters you feel should be addressed in the agreement


Ms. Aloe offers flat rate separation agreement packages.


If you qualify for legal aid you could be issued a legal aid certificate for a separation agreement or a certificate for mediation.  To apply for legal aid call 1-800-668-8258.


  • 164 Redgrave Dr
  • Toronto, ON M9R 3V7
  • Tel: 416-278-2400
  • aloelaw@ymail.com

Parry Sound

  • P.O. Box 215
  • Parry Sound, ON P2A 2X3
  • Tel: 705-346-2563 (aloe)
  • aloelaw@ymail.com
Close Menu